Basic Policy

Overseas manufacturing facilities can be broadly categorized into two - raw timber slabs and board operations and building materials and timber products operations. Slab and board operations use the renewable resource wood as its primary raw material and with the use of heat-hardening adhesives, manufacture plywood, MDF (medium density fiberboard) and particle board. The building materials and timber products operations use the plywood and MDF manufactured by the slab and board operations to manufacture building materials used for housing, furniture, musical instruments and other products.

Our domestic manufacturing facilities use the plywood, MDF, engineered wood and other products manufactured overseas to manufacture and sell wooden housing materials, stair materials, counters and other products.

The raw materials used for manufacturing are procured legally and sustainably in accordance with Sumitomo Forestry Group’s Procurement Policy.

Page Top

Promoting Sustainable Timber Procurement

PT. Kutai Timber Indonesia (KTI), a production site in Indonesia, has been working to build a system for sustainable forest management in cooperation with local plantation cooperative associations to heighten the ratio of plantation timber used as raw materials.

KTI also began reforestation with fast-growing trees such as Falcata (Albizia falcataria) in 1999. With the system of "social forestry", KTI has aimed to support the environment, community and economy by distributing seedlings to local residents for free to plant on the lands they own and promises to purchase timber when the trees are mature at its market value. In addition, the KTI Reforestation Cooperative supported by KTI (KBM KTI)* has acquired the FSC-FM certification for forests owned by KTI (KAM-KTI)*.

In the future, KTI will strive to expand the manufacture and sales of products with high environmental value by expanding the area of certified forests and procuring sustainable timber in order to fulfill the requirements of many of our business partners.

* KAM KTI: FSC-C023796, KBM KTI: FSC-C133562

View of Plantation Forest

View of Plantation Forest

Promoting the Use of Plantation Timber and Certified Timber

PT.Sinar Rimba Pasifik uses sustainable timber that takes into consideration the environment and at the same time, manufactures high-quality wood interior materials (floors, stairs, counters, etc.) of a consistent design and supplies products primarily for Sumitomo Forestry houses. The timber used as the main raw material procured for these products is solely plantation timber or certified timber.

In fiscal 2018, approximately 60% of our overall timber used was imported from abroad, and all of the imported timber from our overseas suppliers is certified timber based on AHEC (American Hardwood Export Council) or QWEB (Quebec Wood Export Bureau). The remaining 40% of our overall timber used is timber from plantation forests purchased from a forestry company in Indonesia (Perum Perhutani), all of which is material that has received SVLK (Sistem Verificasi Legalitas Kayu) certification.

We will continue to pursue sustainable timber procurement and manufacture and sell high-value-added products that use verified as legal and sustainable timber.

Timber Storage Warehouse

Timber Storage Warehouse

Page Top

Sustainability Report